Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Some Washoku Dishes

Even though I have grown up eating a multitude of Japanese dishes, like shrimp tempura, miso soup, teriyaki chicken or yakisoba, I appreciate the simple to make, yet complex-ly flavored everyday dishes that Elizabeth Andoh gives us in Washoku. I have a favorite Izakaya in Hawaii, Imanas Tei, and this pub food is what I've been missing all my life! Lovely small side dishes flavored with sea stock, shoyu, sake, mirin and other unassuming ingredients. Stews and soups that are full of subtle flavors, mingling of meats or vegetables that impart the indescribable gestalt that is Japanese food. I can't tell you how worthwhile some of these dishes are. Okay so here are some of the dishes I've tried and loved from the cookbook: Soy Braised Hijiki with Carrot, Asparagus Tossed with Crushed Black Sesame, Gingery Ground Chicken (except I used turkey), Flash Seared Steak with Two Sauces, Temple Garden Summer Chowder. I cooked up the Hijiki and Asparagus dishes this weekend so I have some pics:



















No comments:

Post a Comment